Accreditation | eta College
Exercise Teachers Academy PTY Limited (trading as eta College) is registered as a private higher education institution in terms of Section 54 (1) (c) of the Higher Education Act, 1997 (Act No. 101), and Regulation 16 (4) (a) of the Regulations for Registration of Private Higher Education Institutions, 2002. eta College is registered to offer its higher education programmes at the following sites of delivery:
- Cape Town
Accreditation by the Council on Higher Education (CHE)
The following level 5 qualifications are accredited by the Council for Higher Education (CHE).
- Higher Certificate in Coaching Science
- Higher Certificate in Fitness
- Higher Certificate in Sport Management
- Diploma in Coaching Science
- Diploma in Fitness
- Diploma in Sport Recreation and Fitness Management
The following level 6 qualification is accredited by the Council for Higher Education (CHE) and will be offered at the eta Cape Town campus from 2017
- Diploma in Sport and Recreation Management
We have applied for our accreditation and DHET registration to extend to our other sites of delivery and we will advise everyone once we receive notification by the DHET.
eta College has applied for accreditation with CHE for the following new level 6 programmes.
- Advanced Certificate in Coaching Science
- Advanced Certificate in Fitness
- Advanced Certificate in Sport, Recreation & Fitness Management
- Diploma in Sport and Exercise
Courses can only commence if accreditation is approved and once eta College has applied to the DHET for an amendment of its registration to extend to these new programmes in our sites of delivery.
Watch out for more details on the new programmes. We will keep you informed as we hear.
Accreditation by CATHSSETA
In accordance with Regulation 16 of the SAQA Act 58 1995, Exercise Teachers Academy (Pty) Ltd (eta College) is accredited with CATHSSETA; accreditation number 613/P/000007/2004, for the qualification/s listed below:
- National Certificate Coaching Science, Programme ID 48444
- National Certificate Fitness, Programme ID 23374
- National Certificate Sport Management, Programme ID 23374
- National Diploma Coaching Science, Programme ID 21891
- National Diploma Fitness, Programme ID 21890
- FETC: Sport Administration, NQF Level 04, qualification ID 67697
- Personal Trainer Certificate (level 5, 86 credits)
- Pilates Instructor Certificate (level 5, 55 credits)
- Fitness Instructor Certificate (level 4, 28 credits)
- Group Exercise Instructor Certificate (level 4, 15 Credits) – this includes the following modalities
- Indoor Cycling Instructor to music
- Aerobics Stretch and Tone Instructor to music
- Pilates mat instructor
- Yoga Instructor
Accreditation: Yoga Teacher Training
eta College is accredited by Yoga Alliance to offer the RYT 200 Yoga Teacher course
eta College is proud to be a recognised provider of the Register for Exercise Professionals South Africa (REPSSA). Our graduates are able to join this international professional body as soon as they qualify. The first year of REPSSA membership for our graduating fitness students is sponsored by eta College. Our graduates can only be recognized overseas if they are registered with REPSSA. Their registration is their passport but to access the “passport” they need to be qualified by an approved provider and with an accredited qualification.
International recognition is based on our graduates’ ability to work overseas. Once qualified, our fitness graduates register with the Register for Exercise Professionals South Africa (REPSSA). REPSSA is the official body for South African fitness professionals, registered by SAQA. REPSSA is affiliated with IC REPS, the International confederation of registers for exercise professionals. This enables all members to be recognised internationally, allowing them to work anywhere in the world, wherever there is a professional register. This includes countries such as Australia, Belgium, Canada, Ireland, UK, USA, New Zealand and UAE.
International benchmarking of eta College programmes
For a qualification to be registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF), the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) requires that it be internationally benchmarked against similar international qualifications. This ensures international comparability and portability of South registered qualifications. eta College fulfils this SAQA requirement, ensuring credibility and international portability of our qualifications.
SAQA (South African Qualifications Authority) is responsible for the quality assurance and registration of qualifications that have been accredited by the relevant quality council. Our accredited programmes lead to qualifications that are registered on the NQF by SAQA, and each qualification is allocated a unique identity number.
If you want to know more about accreditation and registration, take a look at the following websites
- Council for Higher Education (CHE): http://www.che.ac.za
- CATHSSETA: http://www.cathsseta.org.za
- Department of Higher Education & Training (DHET): http://www.dhet.gov.za/
- SAQA: http:// www.saqa.org.za
- REPSSA:http:// www.repssa.co.za
eta College Legal Status
Business registration number is 2005/021935/07
Exercise Teachers Academy (Pty) Ltd is a registered private company, trading as eta College. When the organisation was originally formed in 1983, eta stood for Exercise Teachers Association. eta College was then taken over by Dr Stephen Harris and Ms Linda Halliday in 1994, changing the eta acronym to stand for Exercise Teachers Academy. Over time eta College has become recognised as a leading single purpose college which offers credible, accredited programmes that lead to registered vocational qualifications for the sport, fitness, leisure and recreation industries.
A requirement of the Department of Higher Education and Training is that private providers maintain a financial surety on behalf of their students as an assurance to that, in the unlikely event that eta College is unable to fulfil its obligations to its students, it will ensure that a surety fund is maintained as a guarantee for its students. To this end, Nedbank South Africa; a registered financial service and credit provider and bank of eta College, holds a signed guarantee on instruction of the directors of eta College and on behalf of eta College students.